Friends, family members, and total strangers can give advice on what to do after plastic surgery. But no one can really provide the best post-operation advice aside from surgeons themselves. The best surgeons have been practicing for years, and after seeing countless facelifts, rhinoplasties, brow lifts, and more, we have our share of advice on what you should and shouldn’t do after a procedure.
- Follow the directions every single day
Be diligent during the recovery process. While it’s easy to bypass thinking about the healing process, it’s critical to follow post-operation instructions and keep in mind that the recovery period is a journey. Also note: every patient’s recovery is different. To ensure that your recovery is the most successful, avoid following the advice from colleagues who’ve previously completed the surgery and instead, follow your surgeon’s advice.
Remember: You’ve trusted your surgeon to perform the procedure. Therefore, you also need to trust the post-operation advice, such as limiting activity, to ultimately, allow your body to heal. Healing takes time and cannot be sped up.
- Use common sense, but contact your surgeon immediately with any concerns
Some post-procedures mishaps can happen, especially if a patient gets too comfortable and becomes lax about following recommended rules. Overall, remember to use common sense during the healing process.
Any type of surgery has a level of risk involved, so it’s important to voice any concerns to your surgeon immediately versus waiting several days into recovery and the concern becomes intolerable.
- Communicate expectations early on
From the first consultation, it’s important to communicate your expectations to your surgeon as this will impact how you perceive your results. Knowing what is and isn’t possible helps to set realistic expectations. While a surgeon wants to ensure your goals are met, your great surgeon also wants you to have natural-looking results. As many say: the goal is to under-promise and over-deliver.
- Don’t miss a follow up
Follow up appointments are great opportunities to examine the healing process and ensure that a patient’s wounds are healing well.
Before any surgery at Robinson Facial Plastic Surgery, you’ll have a complimentary consultation with our double-board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Burke Robinson. Our consultations are an easy 3-step process:
- Step 1: Bring anyone you’d like who’s helping you through the decision-making process and share your needs and concerns with one of our surgery coordinators.
- Step 2: Then, Dr. Robinson will do a facial evaluation and discuss his recommendations. 3D photo imaging may be used on patients depending on the desired procedure.
- Step 3: Lastly, a surgery coordinator will provide you with an individualized surgical price estimate, plus evaluate your options, and answer any questions you may have for the most optimal surgical experience. Your surgery coordinator is your personal concierge who is committed to making the process as smooth as possible for you.
Interested in facial plastic surgery options? Explore our before and after gallery or contact us for a complimentary consultation.