While the summer is filled with trips to the beach or afternoons by the pool, studies show that only one-third of adults in the United States are concerned about developing skin cancer – even though nearly 70% say they have at least one risk factor. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer, so it’s critical to take skin cancer prevention seriously.
Keep natural skin factors in mind. Anyone can get skin cancer, but these factors create increased risk:
- Light skin color
- Skin that burns, freckles, or reddens easily
- Blue or green eyes
- Blonde or red hair
- Greater than 50 moles
It’s true that the above characteristics are things people cannot control, but other risk factors – like preventing sunburns and avoiding tanning – are things we can control. Unprotected exposure of UV rays is the most preventable risk factor for skin cancer. Prevent this exposure with one of our favorite facial sunscreens.
Watch for these skin cancer warning signs. Indicators for skin cancer include changes in size, shape, or color of a mole or skin lesion, the appearance of a new growth on the skin, or a sore that doesn’t heal. To spot possible melanoma on the skin, keep the ABCDEs in mind:
- A – Asymmetry – Is half of the spot unlike the other half?
- B – Border – Does your mole have an irregular, scalloped or poorly-defined border?
- C – Color – Does the spot have a range of colors?
- D – Diameter – Is the spot greater than 6 millimeters?
- E – Evolving – Does the spot look different from the rest and changes in shape, size or color?
Remove sun damage with skin treatments. At Visage Skin Care & Laser Center, a division of Robinson Facial Plastic Surgery, we only offer the most effective and advanced skin care treatments that are clinically proven to perfect your complexion. Check out these options:
- Perfect Derma Peel – The only peel that includes the powerful antioxidant Glutathione, which lightens and brightens the skin, slows down the aging process and helps prevent wrinkles. LEARN MORE
- HydraFacial – The “next- generation” microdermabrasion that will comfortably exfoliate and peel, extract and hydrate, infuse and protect all-in-one skin perfecting treatment. LEARN MORE
- Broadband Light Therapy (BBL) – A treatment that gently heats the surface of the skin to reduce the appearance of vascular lesions, age spots and other types of pigmentation irregularities. LEARN MORE
- HALO Laser Resurfacing – A round-breaking hybrid treatment that is the first of its kind to combine both non-ablative and ablative laser treatments in a single session. LEARN MORE
Schedule a Skin Care Consult We will coach you to great results by helping you create a customized skin care plan that takes your goals, time frame, budget and needs into account while giving you the outcome you desire. This thorough 60-minute skin care consult includes facial photography reports from a VISIA® Complexion Analysis session.
Our esthetician, Heather Davis, LE, is a Licensed Assistant Laser Practitioner and an NCEA Certified Esthetician with over 20 years of experience. As an esthetician working with Atlanta’s Top Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Burke Robinson, Heather has learned how best to work with patients for optimal aesthetic results. To determine the right skin treatment for you, contact us for a consultation.