Are you tired of looking tired? Give those sleepy eyes a refreshing boost with eyelid surgery. This outpatient procedure can effectively refresh tired eyes, giving you a younger, more alert appearance. The procedure can enhance the look of the upper or lower lids, or provide dramatic results by addressing both lids in a single procedure.
Eyelid Surgery Overview
Also referred to as blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery can address a myriad of aging signs that often initiate around the eyes. Concerns might include:
- Fine lines and under eye wrinkles
- “Bags” (puffiness) under the lower eyes
- Excess or saggin skin of both the upper and lower lids
- Droopy lower eyelids Blepharoplasty may be performed alone or in combination with other procedures, such as a brow lift or facelift, for more dramatic results.
Types of Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery can be broken into two categories:
- Upper Eyelid Surgery – This procedure addresses skin folds in the upper eyelids that add to an aged look, and sometimes can even impair the line of vision. It is a relatively minor surgery that only requires a few days of recovery time afterward.
- Lower Eyelid Surgery – Addressing the lower eyelid resolves the appearance of puffiness, bags and sagging skin along the lower eyelid. The procedure may also be done in combination with skin resurfacing to reduce fine lines that appear below the eye. As a result, a patient may achieve a more rested and youthful appearance.
- Both upper and lower eyelid surgery may be performed as outpatient procedures under local or general anesthesia. Incisions are placed in inconspicuous areas of the eyelid where visible scarring will be minimal. In most cases of lower eyelid surgery, the incisions may be placed on the inside of the lid.
Recovery from Eyelid Surgery
Some bruising and swelling is normal after eyelid surgery, which subsides within a few days after the procedure. Most patients only need to take pain medication for a couple of days to manage discomfort after surgery. Stitches are removed within seven days and most patients return to work and regular activities at that time. Results of eyelid surgery are fully evident after the eye area heals completely and is not uncommon to ever have to be repeated.
Eyelid surgery is an effective way to dramatically wake up tired eyes. The procedure usually takes just a an hour to complete and patients return home the same day as the surgery. To learn more about this procedure, contact Robinson Facial Plastic Surgery at 770-667-3090 to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Burke Robinson today.