Zapping away imperfections with a bright light or a laser beam conjures images from a sci-fi movie or superhero comic. But, harnessing the power of light and channeling the effects of certain rays have been a focus of advanced medical research for quite some time. Scientists continue to develop new ways to transform this unique energy into beneficial applications. Cosmetic facial treatments now incorporate tools which gently, safely administer therapeutic light wavelengths to skin tissue.
In metro Atlanta, Visage Skin Care Center, a division of Robinson Facial Plastic Surgery (RFPS), offers innovative light and laser therapies specifically designed to treat various skin issues at the cellular level. At Visage Skin Care Center, light and laser treatments present non-surgical options for corrective skin care and provide convenient methods to address specific skin concerns. Some methods are non-invasive (no incisions or recovery time), others are minimally-invasive (no incisions but mild recovery with some discomfort) and all are completed in-office by experienced professionals who train diligently to master efficient techniques.
LIGHT IT UP
These non-invasive treatments use light therapy to generate a range of results based on the different filter settings adjusted to suit the goals for each procedure. The technician practically waves a “magic wand” over the face to improve skin health. This therapy is currently available in two basic formats:
- BBL — BroadBand Light Therapy employs a handheld device to heat the surface of the skin, selectively targeting layers to stimulate collagen production and cell regeneration. This action uses photothermal energy to spark the body’s own natural repair mode.
- FOREVER YOUNG BBL — The benefits of an initial BBL therapy session can be maintained through regular follow-up treatments with varied BBL wavelengths per session. Early research shows that consistent maintenance treatments may actually alter the aging process permanently.
BBL Therapy treatments do not require an anesthetic and only take about 30 minutes depending on the area treated. Patients usually feel some warmth during and after the procedure, accompanied by several hours of redness and some flaking over the next few days.
BBL Therapy can reduce:
• Hyperpigmentation, age spots, freckles
• Redness, vascular lesions, broken capillaries
• Uneven skin texture and tone
• Sun damage and early signs of aging
• Fine lines and wrinkles
Taking things a step further, minimally-invasive laser treatments concentrate that light energy to penetrate into deeper layers of the skin, exfoliating damaged areas and resurfacing the complexion. The difference in treatments depends on the depth to which the laser device it set to reach.
- MicroLaserPeel — A precision laser tool vaporizes damaged portions of the skin, stripping away the outer layer and activating a natural healing cycle. The recovery for this procedure lasts about 7 days and mimics a bad sunburn.
- NanoLaserPeel — With a similar approach as MicroLaserPeel, the NanoLaserPeel therapy applies the laser action at a more shallow skin layer for milder treatment. The NanoLaserPeel is sometimes called a “weekend peel” because the treatment area takes about 3-4 days for recovery during which time skin can be red and slightly swollen.
Most patients feel only mild irritation during the laser peel. Some patients with sensitive skin may feel more comfortable with application of a numbing cream to the treatment area prior to the peel.
A laser peel could be recommended to remedy conditions such as:
• Irregular pigmentation
• Sun damage
Consider the full spectrum of possibilities for your skin with a consultation for light and laser treatments. Heather, voted Best Esthetician Two Years in a Row by Atlanta, will help you select the best therapy or combination treatment for your needs, customizing an approach to match your skin concerns. Call 770-667-3090 now to schedule your consultation!