Truth: as we age, our skin becomes drier and thinner. Even more, wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging become apparent. But while these skin changes are part of the natural aging process, one’s environment and lifestyle choices can cause premature aging. While there’s no way to prevent your skin from aging, there are ways to prevent premature aging. What does it start with? Healthy habits.
- Protect your skin from the sun everyday
Sun exposure plays more of a role in premature skin aging than you may think. And yes, you can receive sun exposure on cloudy and winter days. Always protect your skin year-round with a UV protective measures such as wearing sun-protective clothing, seeking shade, and wearing a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Need help selecting a sunscreen? We can help! With an assortment of medical-grade sunscreens available at our office, we can help you select the appropriate sunscreen for your skin.
- Wear a topical vitamin C (antioxidant) everyday
Did you know that wearing a topical vitamin C daily can prevent premature skin aging? 90% of visible aging is caused by environmental damage. Sunscreens are not enough. Double your protection by wearing both daily! Antioxidants improve signs of aging, photodamage, fine lines, wrinkles, and loss of firmness while brightening skin’s complexion.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
A healthy lifestyle includes a balanced diet, lots of water, and daily exercise. Avoid smoking and moderate alcohol intake. A well-balanced diet containing fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent skin damage that leads to premature aging. Ample hydration keeps skin looking youthful. Daily exercise can improve circulation, also giving skin a more youthful appearance.
- Be consistent with your skincare routine
While its important to wear sunscreen and a moisturizer during the day, it’s also important to consider the other components of your skincare routine, such as your facial cleanser and a retinol cream. Be sure to use skincare products labeled “hypoallergenic” and “fragrance-free.” And don’t forget a retinol cream. When applied every evening, a retinol cream can prevent premature skin aging.
- Explore other skincare procedures
While an at-home skincare routine and healthy lifestyle are critical to preventing premature aging of skin, various in-office procedures can give a little boost when it comes to reducing or minimizing fine lines and wrinkles. Our esthetician, Heather Davis, can recommend the appropriate treatment for you, such as:
- HydraFacial™ – This “next generation” microdermabrasion will comfortably exfoliate and peel, extract and hydrate, infuse and protect, all in one skin-perfecting treatment. Choose from a 30-minute signature, 45-minute deluxe or 60-minute platinum HydraFacial.
- The Perfect Derma Peel – This medium-depth peel for all skin types is the only peel that includes the powerful anti-oxidant Glutathione, which slows down the aging process and helps prevent wrinkles.
- Laser Treatments – From HALO resurfacing to BBL corrective light therapy, a laser treatment can take years of damage off your face, revealing a youthful glow.
For more tips on how to prevent premature aging or to learn more about your skincare procedures, contact us for a consultation today 770-667-3090