In the beauty industry, many trends are started by what celebrities are raving about – and red-light therapy is no exception. With multiple types of laser and light therapies available, it can be tough to determine the differences among treatments. Check out the basics of red-light therapy.
What is red-light therapy?
Red-light therapy is a treatment that uses LED lights or laser to explore the skin to red light, the longest wavelength of visible light on the visible light spectrum. Some studies find that exposure to a few minutes of red light can increase the production of an energizing compound in your cells. As a result, the increase in cellular energy is helpful for repairing skin damage and lead to benefits like:
- Reduced inflammation
- Improved acne
- Decreased signs of aging
How does it work?
Red-light therapy works a little differently compared to laser or intense pulsed light therapies because it doesn’t cause damage to the skin surface. Laser and pulsed light therapies work by causing controlled damage to the outer layer of skin which induces tissue repair. Red-light therapy instead is considered “low level” because it works at a lower energy density compared to other forms of laser therapy. This therapy directly stimulates regeneration of the skin and penetrates roughly a few millimeters below the skin surface.
To target acne, red light focuses on sebaceous glands, or small ducts that release pore-clogging, acne-causing oil. The light helps reduce inflammation within those glands. To decrease signs of aging, red light increases collagen density, leading to visible improvements in wrinkles and skin texture.
How can I try red light therapy?
While there are few one-size-fits all anti-aging treatments, our Platinum and Deluxe HydraFacial treatments include red light therapy to stimulate collagen. These invigorating treatments include all the essentials of a Signature HydraFacial, while addressing specific skin concerns through boosters.
Are there other types of skin therapy treatments I can try?
Yes! At Visage Skin Care & Laser Center, a division of Robinson Facial Plastic Surgery, our wide variety of effective, clinically proven, advanced laser treatments will meet your individual needs. Choose from:
- HALO Laser Resurfacing – The world’s first hybrid fractional laser that combines two lasers (non-ablative and ablative) in a single treatment that takes years of damage off your face to reveal your inner glow.
- BBL Corrective Therapy – Broadband Light Therapy uses intense pulses of light energy to restore a more youthful complexion with little to no downtime.
- Forever Young BBL – This revolutionary treatment works with your initial BBL treatment to maintain the positive results of BBL over the long term.
- Nano Laser Peel – This laser treatment is the perfect introduction to any patient interested in the newest way to get smoother, brighter skin. The gentle power of light instantly removes layers of dull, damaged skin.
- Micro-laser Peel – Also known as the “weekend peel,” this treatment removes a thin layer of damaged skin to improve texture to give you a more youthful appearance with minimal downtime.
Heather Davis, our NCEA Certified Esthetician and Assistant Laser Practitioner, has more than 20 years of experience and has been voted “Best Esthetician” for two years in a row by the Atlanta community. To learn if red light therapy, or another laser treatment is right for you, contact us for a consultation!